Have you ever seen photographs where the sun is shaped like a perfect star, with beautiful rays radiating away from a central point? This phenomenon is known as the sunburst or starburst effect and can be easily achieved by adjusting the aperture of the lens on your digital camera. All you need besides a camera is the ability to access this one manual function that is also known as f-stop. All digital SLR cameras have this ability, and many point and shoot digital cameras do as well. Look in your camera’s instruction manual to find out whether you can adjust the aperture of your lens and if you can, then read on to find out how to create this amazing effect with the sun!
Step 1
Wait for a sunny day.
Step 2
Set your digital camera’s shooting mode to either Aperture Priority Mode (often indicated with the letter A or Av) or Manual Mode (often indicated with the letter M).
Step 3
Adjust your lens aperture (also called f-stop) to the smallest opening (for example f/22 or f/36). A smaller hole allows the sun’s light to become like a sunburst or starburst. See the tips section for a more thorough explanation of how aperture is measured.
Step 4
If you are shooting in Aperture Priority Mode, then your camera will choose an appropriate shutter speed to complement your chosen f-stop. If you are shooting in Manual Mode, then you will need to choose a shutter speed yourself.
Step 5
After you have adjusted your settings, you are ready to shoot the sun and achieve the sunburst effect.
2 comments:
Awesome photos Natalie. Did you learn about photography on your own or take a class? I have a Nikon D70 and when I read the manual I don't understand anything, so I leave it on auto.
I just learned things from friends and looking online and from just playing with my camera. I can help you figure out your camera if we ever manage to get together.
Post a Comment