Thursday, January 29, 2009

Why I don't shower everyday

I didn't realize that this was that big of a deal but maybe I'm wrong. The first thing that Sam said after he read my "this is me" post was, "I don't think I would have put in that part about not showering everyday." and then my brother made a point of commenting on my hygiene too. I know that's only two people but there are probably not many people I know who would comment on it even if they were grossed out by it. So I would like state a few of what I think are very legitimate reasons for not showering everyday. Exhibit A: Last night while in the shower, with my bedroom door locked I might add, I hear this-

Bryce- "Bla bla bla bla bla."

Me-(yelling) "What!"

Bryce-(sightly louder)"Bla bla bla bla bla."

Me-(yelling louder) "What Bryce, I can't hear you!"

Bryce- (a little louder)"McKay, bla bla bla a sharpie"

Me-(really yelling now) "What!"

Bryce-(now also yelling)"McKay drew on me with a sharpie!"

Me- (still yelling) "Oookay, take the sharpie away from him and put up!"

Bryce-"Okay"

(30 sec. later, bathroom door opens a crack)

Nate-"Mom, bla bla bla bla bla."

Me-(turning off the shower, still covered in soap) "What!"

Nate- "Can you help me with my homework?" *pause* "When you get out of the shower."

Me-"Yes. Nate. Why is my door unlocked? Can I please shower in peace?"

Nate-"Okay"

Me-*sigh*(turn shower back on)



Here's the thing, this was nothing compared to usual. I was only interrupted twice. Amazing. The few times that I am not interrupted in the shower are the times that I really have to worry. You see if they are not bothering me that means that they are getting into some other sort of trouble. Worse trouble. Full boxes of cereal spilled on the floor. Toilets full of toilet paper. Markers on walls. You name, they've done it.

Why, you might ask, do I not shower in the morning before the kids get up or at night after they go to bed. Well, people, I'll tell you why. I'm Tired! Soo, soo verry tired.

I'm guessing that there may be some of you who feel the same as my dear husband and wonderful brother, and find my personal hygiene to be unacceptable or at least something that shouldn't be advertised. That's fine, but I am also guessing that there are some of you who like me do not have the pleasure of taking a daily shower. So I have posted a survey to find out just where I fit in. Please take a sec. to answer the survey. Don't worry it's anonymous. If you want to be brave and out yourself feel free to leave a comment.

9 comments:

banananutmeg said...

I SO do not shower every day. And get this... I only shampoo my hair twice a week! The other times, conditioner only, baby. My hair has never been happier. It takes me like an hour to straighten my mane...such a waste of precious no kid time when I could be doing something productive like sitting on the sofa in my hot pink "don't touch me sweats" eating ice cream and watching Biggest Loser. Spare the walls. Don't shower.

Chera said...

Oh I will out myself, I NEVER had showered or taken a bath everyday. First it's because I don't want to and time plays into of course. And to be honest if your hair can look good after 2 or 3 days I am completely fine with it. AND they do say it is pretty hard on your hair to shower every day, so there are perks to not doing it.

Todd and Lisa said...

I dont blaim you. Do what you have to do. I miss every once in a while and I dont have little kids at home as an excuse. Its all good!!

Anonymous said...

I do shower every day unless something unforeseen happens. But let me tell you, it's a stall shower, so not very big AT ALL. Normally there is Chloe and Chance BOTH in there with me. The dog lays on the floor RIGHT outside the shower. Colin and Kobe are either fighting in their bathroom or needing to come in, open the shower curtain, and ask me something REALLY important like, "What are we doing today?" or "Colin's bothering me." or "Can I play the Wii if I get everything done fast?" You know. Importnat things. What do I say, "Guys, I'm naked!" They say, "Mom, we can obviously see that!"
But I do it every day! Gabrielle doesn't though and she finds me strange that I need to. So my comment is . . . To all their own. Do what you want because, unless you stink really bad, I don't care. And I've never thought you smelt bad. You're a queen of five ( well, really six) and one day, when the house is empty and quiet, the last thing I would want to do is take a stinkin shower.

Becky said...

I don't think that it is a big deal that you don't shower everyday. I have never noticed you to be a big stinker. I, myself, do shower everyday, though. I just like the way my hair looks freshly washed. I can totally understand the tired part.

Rachel said...

I don't shower every day unless I am running every day :) Not showering after a run really is gross.

Marcie said...

I can totally relate to the kids always yelling and needing something when showering. I think it happens to all moms. Most days I get a shower, but I do skip on occasion.

Anonymous said...

DUDE. i so feel your pain. most days i have to shower with avery opening the door or ethan BANGING on the door. ug.

isaacsmith77 said...

I didn't shower yesterday. :)